01 / 2019 - 06 / 2021
Rhode Island School of Design | Master’s Degree of Industrial Design
02 / 2020 - 05 / 2020
Brown University | Coursework: Innovation and Commercialization in Medical Devices, Diagnostics, and Wearables
02 / 2019 - 05 / 2019
Massachusetts Institute of Technology | Coursework: Product Design and Development
09 / 2014 - 07 / 2018
Beijing Jiaotong University | Bachelor’s Degree of Mechanical Engineering
Digital 2D & 3D
Adobe Creative Suite
CAD Solidworks, Rhino, NX, AutoCAD,
Grasshopper, Keyshot, Octane,
Zbrush, Cinema 4D
3D printing, CNC, Laser cutting
StyleGAN Training with Phython
Wood / Metal / Foam / Paper Forming
Wax / Clay Sculpting, Mold-making, Casting
Competitive market analysis, User testing,
Awards & Exhibitions
Certified Simens NX CAD Associate Engineer (2016)
Certified Collegiate Teaching in Art + Design (2021)
Elena Danlei Huang is a multidisciplinary designer and researcher. Drawing upon a background in mechanical engineering, she pursued industrial design to further develop her creative process. In her research-based practise, with a focus on nature & human relationships, transition design towards sustainability, and embodied social innovation, Huang draws upon both artistic and scientific inqury and generates methodologies for design-driven interdisciplinary collaboration. It is her goal to build a bridge that connects art, science, engineering and the general public, in order to engage, communicate, and tame existential social and environmental complexities.
Huang is an adjunct teaching fellow of Industrial Design at the Rhode Island School of Design. She holds a Master of Industrial Design and a Certificate in Collegiate Teaching in Art + Design from RISD. Prior to graduate study, she holds a Bachelor of Engineering in Mechanical Engineering from Beijing Jiaotong University.
S2021 Stanford University, Leonardo/ISAST LASER Talks, Microbial Cosmologies
S2021 Columbia University, Digital Storytelling Lab,
S2021 Montclair State University, Co-Immunity
S2021 Columbia University, Digital Storytelling Lab,
2021 “Machines Have Eyes”, essay, Big Data. Big Design: Why Designers Should Care About Machine Learning. Princeton Architectural Press. (Book to be released on October 19, 2021)
01 / 2021 - 02 / 2021
Teaching Fellow | RISD Industrial Design Department | Providence
· Teaching a self-designed course: Naturing Future (ID-1517) at RISD in Wintersession 2021.
09 / 2020 - 01 / 2021
Research Assistant | RISD Nature Lab | Providence
· Designing the physical installation layout of Illuminated Bay: A 3D visualization platform funded by RI’s Science and Technology Advisory Council, that aims at helping the general public understand bay dynamics and anthropogenic impacts on the estuary.
01 / 2020 - 08 / 2020
Lead Student Researcher | RISD & Hyundai Motor Group | Providence
· RISD and Hyundai Collaborative Partnership brings the deep expertise and experience together to look creatively at the relationships among the natural and built-environments and towards solutions for the future of mobility, urban change through mobility, and sustainable solutions for our built environment.
· Created two research-based, speculative design projects in collaboration with a multidisciplinary group of four designers and Hyundai UAM Team.
1) Microbial Cosmologies: An immersive project speculating a posthuman future of mobility based on a re-defined relationship between human and the microbial world. Work presented at Stanford University, Columbia University, and Yonsei University, Seoul, Korea.
2) From Noise to Form: A multi-media project that employed styleGAN, 3D modeling, and ambisonic sound design, to investigate how forms emerge in nature as the boundary between the natural and the artificial becomes obsolete. Work presented at University of Bergen, Norway.
06 / 2020 - 08 / 2020
Pedagogical Innovation Assistant | RISD Nature Lab | Providence
· Supporting research and academic work related to the Arthur Loeb Design Science Collection at RISD Nature Lab, my work included: documenting selected works, developing an explorational process and creating visual materialsfor understanding geometric polyhedral structures.
02 / 2019 - 06 / 2019
Teaching Assistant | RISD Industrial Design Department | Providence
· The purpose of the course: Designing with Solidworks is to expose undergraduate students to digital solid and surface modeling. My job working as TA included Q&A, helping students learn to use software and analysis the structure and components of their design objects.
10 / 2017 – 07 / 2016
Framework Lead & Designer| Green Energy-conservation Vehicle Team | Beijing
· Our team designed and built the geen energy-conservation vehicle and won the 3rd Prize in 10th Honda China Eco Milage Challenge. Working as the framework lead and industrial designer, my main responsibility in the teamwork is frame and body design and integrant layout.
09 / 2020 - 11 / 2020
Lead Assistant Curator | RISD Industrial Design Department | Providence
· Acting as the ID Graduate Biennial 2020 supervisor, I coordinated the activities of the curation team, liaised with the department and the gallery management team to ensure the show is delivered successfully.
01 / 2020 - 06 / 2020
Graduate Admission Assistant | RISD Industrial Design Department | Providence
· Reviewing admission applications, coordinating assessment operations, setting up interviews and answering applicant emails.
06 / 2019 - 09 / 2019
R&D Industrial Designer Intern | Aibee Inc. | Beijing
· Working with robotics team, I designed and developed a real-time mapping data collecting bckpack used for immersive VR navigation both at a laboratory and consumer level.
09 / 2018 - 11 / 2018
Product Designer Intern | Kidtopia Children’s Museum | Beijing
· Cooperating with STEAM educators, I designed products and exhibits for kids to better understand urban public infrastructure system. I also participated in children behaviors research and user testing.
01 / 2018 - 06 / 2018
Creative Brand Designer Intern | Overseas Marketing Department, Ofo | Beijing
· Cooperated with the design team in strengthening and coordinating the branding strategy of overseas marketing department. Participated in the planning of the exhibition & event of SXSW(South by Southwest Festival) 2018, Austin. Designed and developed the branding peripheral products and related graphic works.
06 / 2017 – 07 / 2017
Junior Engineer Intern | Taiyuan Heavy Industries | Taiyuan
· Cooperated in the company’s routine. Worked in the mechanical manufacturing workshop of wheels and axles of high-speed train, learned to operate devices in production departments.